Manage episode 299105734 series 2818029
Brigid shares about her recent wedding and the COVID parade waiting for them after their small wedding in their church's lobby! She was born and raised in Raleigh. She was working in clinical research and volunteered with Help One Now before eventually being recruited.
Help One Now empowers families in developing countries through high-capacity local leaders with proven solutions to end extreme poverty.
Our vision is to empower 100,000 families to end extreme poverty in their lives by 2030.
Help One Now works in
- Dominican Republic
They serve in some of the poorest communities in the world, where people live on less than $2 US per day. In these communities, empowering families through education and entrepreneurship has proven to be the most effective course for long-term change, creating a hand up to build a better future for themselves.
We briefly talk about the impact of the assassination of the president of Haiti. They are responding in an emergency effort to provide for those impacted. Haiti Emergency Relief 2021
Every $1 provides 1 meal and every $500 provides food, shelter, and safety for a family.
- Haiti’s President, Jovenel Moïse, was assassinated in the early morning of July 7th.
- The assassination was an “acute on chronic” event, meaning it has taken an ongoing problem and made it exponentially worse.
- Haiti is still under a state of siege. International news is focusing only on the ongoing investigation into the assassination, rather than the escalation of suffering and danger to vulnerable communities because of the instability and rise of gang violence.
- Haiti relies heavily on its imported goods to meet the daily needs of its people. There has already been a fuel and food shortage, and all indicators show that this will only continue to grow due to gang control of the streets and ports.
- There are over 20,000 families who have been displaced and completely lost everything due to gang violence. The immediate priority for these families will be food, shelter, and safety to get through this time.
- The leaders we partner with, and their teams are utilizing connections through local pastors and partners in these communities to ensure they can reach families and deliver aid to them. They are working to create an intake system for families to quickly and accurately assess their specific needs.
- The leaders we partner with on the ground are responding in a way that only they can. They are acting immediately to ensure the health and protection of vulnerable families in their communities.
Brigid shares the story of how she started working at Help One Now. She initially was reluctant and was making traction in her career, but she eventually accepted the job, then declined the job...
Brigid shares some of the businesses that they have launched to help people provide for themselves and earn an average of 400% increase in their household income.