Manage episode 248166062 series 2544228
This is the 16th episode of 16 Minutes, our news show where we cover the top headlines, the a16z Podcast way: what’s real / what’s hype; why they matter from our vantage point in tech.
This week, we cover the following news (in conversation with Sonal Chokshi):
- NYSE & SEC back and forth over direct listings -- The NYSE recently proposed allowing companies to raise capital during direct listings (currently, they're different than IPOs in that there is no offering); the SEC rejected it; and they just filed a new proposal... but beyond this news and these artifacts, what's the bigger picture when it comes to other structural factors involved here? -- with Scott Kupor.
- vaping apps & Apple; FDA & CBD-- two recent moves: Apple banning 181 vaping apps from its app store, FDA issuing warning letters against 15 companies with products that have CBD in them; what's our quick take on the blurring lines between these two seemingly different bits of news? -- with Vijay Pande.
Relevant/ related links:
- IPOs, direct listings, more:
- beyond the opening bell: what do (and don't) IPOs tell us about companies? by Scott Kupor
- direct listings, the myths and the facts [podcast] with Stacey Cunningham, Barry McCarthy, and Sonal Chokshi
- all about direct listings with Jamie McGurk
- the curious case (and the behind-the-scenes story of) the OpenTable IPO [podcast] with Jeff Jordan, J.D. Moriarty, and Sonal Chokshi
- on capital formation, smaller companies, and IPOs [testimony] by Scott Kupor
The views expressed here are those of the individual AH Capital Management, L.L.C. (“a16z”) personnel quoted and are not the views of a16z or its affiliates. Certain information contained in here has been obtained from third-party sources, including from portfolio companies of funds managed by a16z. While taken from sources believed to be reliable, a16z has not independently verified such information and makes no representations about the enduring accuracy of the information or its appropriateness for a given situation.
This content is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal, business, investment, or tax advice. You should consult your own advisers as to those matters. References to any securities or digital assets are for illustrative purposes only, and do not constitute an investment recommendation or offer to provide investment advisory services. Furthermore, this content is not directed at nor intended for use by any investors or prospective investors, and may not under any circumstances be relied upon when making a decision to invest in any fund managed by a16z. (An offering to invest in an a16z fund will be made only by the private placement memorandum, subscription agreement, and other relevant documentation of any such fund and should be read in their entirety.) Any investments or portfolio companies mentioned, referred to, or described are not representative of all investments in vehicles managed by a16z, and there can be no assurance that the investments will be profitable or that other investments made in the future will have similar characteristics or results. A list of investments made by funds managed by Andreessen Horowitz (excluding investments for which the issuer has not provided permission for a16z to disclose publicly as well as unannounced investments in publicly traded digital assets) is available at https://a16z.com/investments/.
Charts and graphs provided within are for informational purposes solely and should not be relied upon when making any investment decision. Past performance is not indicative of future results. The content speaks only as of the date indicated. Any projections, estimates, forecasts, targets, prospects, and/or opinions expressed in these materials are subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by others. Please see https://a16z.com/disclosures for additional important information.