Manage episode 272395231 series 2475877
Next week, the Australian government will increase the number of Australians that can arrive each week from 4,000 to around 6,000 people. This is a welcome step forward and will definitely help to clear the backlog of Australians stranded overseas. But with at least 24,000 Australians currently registered as stranded – and perhaps closer to 100,000 by airline estimates – is it enough?
In this episode, Matt shares the stories of Australians stuck in the Netherlands. The arrival caps, it seems, are only part of the problem. The more immediate issue is that those Australians in the most vulnerable positions, who can least afford to remain overseas, are the same people that can least afford to pay an extortionate ticket price to get home. Buying an Economy class ticket is not an option with many airlines indefinitely bumping Economy class passengers off flights in favour of those who paid more for a premium ticket. Some airlines have stopped selling Economy tickets altogether.
Also in this episode, Norfolk Island is open for tourism from five Australian states, and will also reopen next month for travel from NSW and ACT! If you’re keen for an overseas holiday, a trip to Norfolk Island is one way to do this without technically leaving the country.
- 1:08 – Fortnightly news round-up
- 9:53 – Australia increases the international arrivals cap
- 13:41 – Interview with Courtney Devine
- 26:05 – Other Australians in the Netherlands share their stories
- 30:28 – Quarantine-free travel to Norfolk Island
- AFF on Air Discussion thread – a dedicated AFF thread to discuss the podcast and ask questions
- Norfolk Island is Open for Tourism
Frequent Flyer Gazette articles referenced in the fortnightly news round-up:
- Qantas Flight to Nowhere Sells Out in Minutes
- Qantas Petitions for State Borders to Reopen
- Overview of Australian State Border Restrictions
- Qantas Club Gives Further Six-Month Extensions
- No Refunds as Many Priority Pass Lounges Remain Closed
- ACCC Fears for Airline Competition in Australia
- 20% Bonus Velocity Points Offer as NAB Reinstates Transfers
- 30% Off Velocity Business Reward Seats & Upgrades
- Qantas Cuts Platinum One Special Service Team
- How to Buy and Redeem LifeMiles