Manage episode 274347702 series 2794837
Dr.Laura Lewandowski is a self-described punk from Worcester, MA, who now uses that grit and attitude as a physician and scientist, leading a team to investigate the genetics of autoimmune disease. Dr. Laura is a passionateadvocate for the advancement of women in medicine and science, and her purpose and passion to improve the lives of her patients has led her all over the world in the name of global health.
What You Will Hear in This Episode:
- Dr. Laura comes from a home of four girls, and although other people questioned what it was like, she and her parents had nothing but pride for all the females in the family. Between this and her mother working in a hospital and her love of learning, she chose the path of medicine, science, and global health.
- We still have a very long way to go to get proper care to patients all around the world and to update our model of genetics so that it takes every country into account.
- Dr. Laura’s work in Global Health also mirrored the characteristics needed in leadership - resourcefulness, a strong work ethic, and the ability to fail forward.
- Her collaborations with both the patients and doctors in lower resource settings are educational, and there is no judgment, just understanding, and help.
- “The biggest thing that determines how healthy your life will be is probably where you are born. If that is true, I want to be doing something about it.” - Laura
- “It’s been life-changing to see what my patients go through and understand their stories.” - Laura
- “If you are accomplishing everything you are dreaming about, your dreams just aren’t big enough.” - Laura
Google Scholar: Laura B. Lewandowski