Manage episode 262316490 series 60397
What do we know about how and why England came to establish its first permanent colony at Jamestown? And what do we know about the English colony that came before it, the Colony of Roanoke?
Alan Gallay, Lyndon B. Johnson chair of United States History at Texas Christian University and author of Walter Ralegh: Architect of Empire, leads us on exploration of the life and work of Sir Walter Ralegh, the man who crafted the blueprint for England’s colonization plans in the Americas.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/274
Production of this episode was made possible by a grant from the Roller-Bottimore Foundation of Richmond, Virginia.
- Omohundro Institute
- The Ben Franklin's World Shop
- Virtual Public Event: Equality: A Historical Perspective
- Episode 132: Coll Thrush, Indigenous London
- Episode 139: Andrés Reséndez, The Other Slavery
- Episode 184: David Silverman, Thundersticks
- Episode 220: Margaret Ellen Newell, New England, Indians, Colonists, and the Origins of Slavery
- Episode 250: Virginia, 1619
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App
- Join the Ben Franklin's World Facebook Group
- Ben Franklin’s World Twitter: @BFWorldPodcast
- Ben Franklin's World Facebook Page
- Sign-up for the Franklin Gazette Newsletter
*Books purchased through the links on this post will help support the production of Ben Franklin's World.