Manage episode 254016804 series 83575
Get to know enough CPAs, and you'll hear the "light bulb" story.
"I was helping this real estate investor with her taxes... and thought, 'Why am I not doing this?!'"
Yes, there are POWERFUL tax breaks available for rental property investors. But you have to know what to look for!
That's the focus of today's episode AND the new book (out today!) from Amanda Han and Matt MacFarland: "The Book on Advanced Tax Strategies: Cracking the Code for Savvy Real Estate Investors."
You'll hear Amanda and Matt break down the basic concepts you need to understand in order to reach your goals, outline the questions you should ask your CPA, and take on the notorious "Do I need an LLC?" question.
You'll also learn about more complex strategies like advanced/bonus depreciation, Opportunity Zone investing, and 1031 exchanges... plus, how short-term rental investors and flippers can optimize their tax strategy.
This episode is packed with free information that is literally valuable—meaning it could save you thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars!
Download this one, check out the book, and subscribe to the BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast so you won't miss the next show.
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Amanda and Matt ended up doing tax/real estate
- What they do and how they help clients
- What their new book is all about
- How to save tons of money in terms of taxes
- Best time to work with a CPA
- How an LLC plays into a real estate investor’s life
- 3 benefits of working with a professional
- Importance of having a system in place with the help of tax and legal advisors
- How cost segregation comes into play
- Who does a cost segregation study
- Other things investors should not do on their own
- Why it pays to be cautious when it comes to 1031 exchanges
- Why buy and hold is preferable over flipping from a tax perspective
- Cool things about short-term rentals from a tax perspective
- What an Opportunity Zone is and why it matters
- What a flow-through entity tax break is
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- Explore Companies on BiggerPockets
- BiggerPockets Bookstore
- IRS Website
Check the full show notes here: http://biggerpockets.com/show370