239 - Large Scale Contract Distilling with Steve Nally and John Hargrove of Bardstown Bourbon Company
Manage episode 252662174 series 69890
- The University of Louisville has an online Distilled Spirits Business Certificate that focuses on the business side of the spirits industry. Learn more at uofl.me/bourbonpursuit.
- Barrell Craft Spirits works with distilleries from all over the world to source and blend the best ingredients into America’s most curious cask strength whiskies. Learn more at BarrellBourbon.com.
- Receive $25 off your first order at RackHouse Whiskey Club with code "Pursuit". Visit RackhouseWhiskeyClub.com.
- Jim Beam Cheat Sheet: http://bourbonr.com/blog/jim-beam-distillery-production-cheat-sheet/
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick talks about Bolivia.
- What was your first taste of bourbon?
- How did you get into working in the bourbon and spirits industry?
- How was it going from Maker's to a start up distillery?
- Do you have a formal education in science or did you learn on the job?
- How did they convince you to come to BBC?
- What was the initial BBC strategy?
- What is your distillery capacity?
- Did you see the need for contract distilling?
- Is it difficult to produce so many mash bills?
- Do clients have a mash bill in mind or do you help coach them?
- Walk us through the process.
- Can you pick your own yeast strain?
- Can you sample the yeast strains?
- Do you guide customers on wood?
- How long is your wait?
- How do you allocate floor levels in the warehouse?
- What's the craziest demand from a customer?
- Is it more efficient to have a contract distiller?
- What are you distilling for BBC?
- Talk about the risk of experimenting with products.
- Where do you see bourbon in 3-5 years?
- Any plans for other spirits?
- Tell us about the decision to allow customers to customize the process.
- Do you bottle and help with packaging?