Manage episode 257070100 series 69890
Today’s episode features one of the largest spirits companies you might not know much about. You’ve heard of brands like Ezra Brooks, Rebel Yell, and Blood Oath, but there is a lot to discover about Luxco. We sit down with Philip Lux, Global Brand Ambassador at Lux Row Distillers and son of CEO Don Lux, as he guides us through the family history of the Lux’s along with their acquisitions of bourbon brands. Then we also get the inside scoop on what’s happening at Lux Row Distillers. After sourcing whiskey for many years, it became apparent they needed to build a distillery and they did it right in Bardstown, KY. We discuss the future of the brands and how they plan to grow and evolve. Don’t sleep on this location during your bourbon trail visit because the facility is incredible.
- The University of Louisville has an online Distilled Spirits Business Certificate that focuses on the business side of the spirits industry. Learn more at uofl.me/bourbonpursuit.
- Find out what it’s like to taste whiskey straight from the barrel with Barrell Craft Spirits. Learn more at BarrellBourbon.com.
- Receive $25 off your first order at RackHouse Whiskey Club with code "Pursuit". Visit RackhouseWhiskeyClub.com.
- Black Market Liquor Sales: https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredminnick/2020/03/19/wholesalers-warn-of-black-market-liquor-if-liquor-stores-close-amidst-coronavirus/#3b5445042e88
- Supporting Spirits United: https://p2a.co/JRoHtT8
- Bourbon Pursuit USBG Fundraiser: bourbonpursuit.com/usbg
- Bourbon Crypto: https://www.coindesk.com/wave-financial-to-tokenize-20m-worth-of-bourbon-for-new-whiskey-fund
- Pat Heist on TedX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSLWEnz-1mc
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick talks about supporting craft distilleries.
- What was your introduction to bourbon?
- How did you get into the business?
- What stands out about bourbon when you are traveling?
- Talk about the difference between Luxco and Lux Row.
- Did your dad ever tell you about how he had the foresight to acquire all these brands?
- Tell us the story of David Nicholson.
- Talk about Blood Oath.
- Was Rebel Yell acquired the same time as David Nicholson?
- Tell us about your bourbon portfolio.
- When did you break ground on the facility?
- Why did you decide to build in Bardstown and not St. Louis?
- What is the difference between regular David Nicholson and the reserve?
- Tell us about your still and capacity.
- Any worries about your bourbon being ready in 4 years?
- Are you trying to replicate the existing flavor profiles?
- What is your storage capacity?
- What is something that people might not know about your brands?
- When is the Lux Bourbon coming?
- Any plans to use this facility to support Luxco?
- What issues have you had starting a distillery?