252 - Distilling in Memphis: Filling Barrels Ten Feet Off of Beale with Alex Castle of Old Dominick Distillery
Manage episode 261101937 series 69890
We went on a road trip to check out Old Dominick distillery in Memphis, TN. We’re excited to let Alex Castle, Master Distiller at Old Dominick, share the history behind the brand and how it was resurrected. We learn about her time at Wild Turkey and then dive into their current operations and product lines. If you are in the Memphis area, make Old Dominick one of your must-stops so you can check out their incredible facility.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- Receive $25 off your first order at RackHouse Whiskey Club with code "Pursuit". Visit RackhouseWhiskeyClub.com.
- Share a sip of pure Memphis with Old Dominick Distillery. Learn more at OldDominick.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick talks about Whiskey from Home.
- Tell us about your background. Did you grow up around bourbon?
- Talk about your time at UK.
- What did you love about working at Alltech?
- What happened after graduating?
- What was your role at Wild Turkey?
- How did you end up at Old Dominick?
- Did Old Dominick have an initial vision?
- What are honeybells?
- How was the transition from Kentucky to Tennessee?
- Tell us about the history of the distillery.
- How did you decide to launch with the Memphis Toddy?
- Talk about the design of the facility.
- What was your vision for the still?
- What was the inspiration for your recipes?
- Tell us about your products and mash bills.
- Talk about the barrels.
- Why keep the barrel wood regional?
- Will it be harder to keep the wood regional as you scale?
- Talk about the rooster.
- Tell us more about your gin.
- What hurdles did you have when opening the distillery?
- How have you been received in Memphis?