Manage episode 281891556 series 2841582
The beginning of the year is a time when many of us make commitments to professional and personal growth. So, to help you get off to the best start possible, we are dedicating the first few episodes of Season 2 to exploring what it really means to invest in your growth.
Dustin Hill, today’s guest, is a Director at FINNEA Group, a middle-market investment banking firm. He joins us to talk about how mindset is a driving force for our success (or lack thereof). We kick off the conversation with a look at soft skills, their importance, and how they contribute to success. We also discuss having a ‘why’ and the role this plays in motivating us.
Growth is not easy. In fact, we are hardwired to shy away from change, so how do we lean into it and accept it as par for the course if we are to grow? Dustin shares his approach to this and how talking to people who have done what he may be fearing sets his mind at ease.
Another key part of growth we touch on is task prioritization and strategies you can use to separate responsibilities. No matter how busy you might think you are, if you are intentional about making time for what nourishes you and helps you grow, you will be able to fit it in. We wrap the conversation up by debunking the myth that growth means increased working hours and why progress rather than perfection counts when developing essential soft skills.
Key Points From This Episode:
- The difficulty that comes with developing soft skills; they are not easily quantifiable.
- It is so important to have a ‘why’ when it comes to personal and professional growth.
- How Dustin views growth and getting closer to your why.
- Work Dustin has done on his mindset: Why you need to change your perspective.
- Why making to-do lists can help you focus in on what is truly important for the day.
- The benefits Dustin has seen from turning off his text and email notifications.
- How Dustin deals with change and leans into it.
- Getting over fears and vulnerabilities looks different for everyone, so find what works for you.
- Dustin’s childhood and how his early life has framed his why and motivated him.
- Making time for self-reflection and how to use this to understand where you need to grow.
- Balancing the day-to-day grind with carving space for personal and professional growth.
- Professional growth should not be confused with doing more work.
- It is so important to distinguish between tasks that are urgent and those that can wait.
- How Dustin approaches task importance and assigns values to things on his to-do list.
- A call to action for you to start working on your mindset.
- Apply the 80/20 rule when it comes to developing your soft skills.
The Eisenhower Matrix
Dustin Hill LinkedIn
Dustin Hill Email
Alex Drost LinkedIn
Connection Builders LinkedIn
Have thoughts or comments? We want to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org