S1E14 Breaking Down "The Invisible Black Woman", The Welfare Queen, Naomi Campbell's Child Birth, & RIP Paul Mooney
Manage episode 294266051 series 2924119
In the penultimate episode of season 1, DJ and Courtney break down The Invisible Black Woman and the myth of the Welfare Queen. They also discuss Naomi Campbell’s recent child birth, send condolences to Paul Mooney, and celebrate Billy Porter.
RESOURCES/LINKS MENTIONED IN THE SHOW:
- Oakland Officials Aim to Honor Paul Mooney with Hometown Tribute: https://www.tmz.com/2021/05/20/oakland-officials-plan-to-honor-paul-mooney/
- Naomi Campbell welcomes her first child in surprise Instagram post: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/naomi-campbell-baby-announcement/index.html
- Billy Porter reveals he’s been HIV-positive for over a decade: https://pagesix.com/2021/05/19/billy-porter-reveals-hes-hiv-positive/
- Jada, Willow, and Gammy Break Down the 'Invisible Black Women Epidemic' on 'Red Table Talk': https://www.etonline.com/jada-willow-and-gammy-break-down-the-invisible-black-women-epidemic-on-red-table-talk-165620
- The disturbing reason some African American patients may be undertreated for pain: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/04/04/do-blacks-feel-less-pain-than-whites-their-doctors-may-think-so/
- Great-grandmother earns a college degree at 78: 'I really love learning': https://www.today.com/news/great-grandmother-earns-college-degree-78-i-really-love-learning-t218066
- Analysis: Biden just dethroned the Welfare Queen: https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/16/politics/biden-welfare-queen-blake/index.html
Email us at breakingitdownshow[at]gmail.com
Breaking It Down with DJ & Courtney is edited and produced by designsbycourtneyh.
Music produced by Courtney Hinton.--- This episode is sponsored by · Anchor: The easiest way to make a podcast. https://anchor.fm/app