Manage episode 275490604 series 2426951
Given the varies stimulus plans in 2020 the national debt has risen to new records. Yet, this political season we’ve heard little to nothing about it. How to understand the national debt, debt to GDP, debt held by the public. Plus, what does the CBO (Congressional Budget Office) say the debt to rise to? Will the interest payments exceed the cost of social security and all of defense before long?
- • How to see what the US national debt held by the public is
- • Compare debt held by the public and total debt
- • How much debt does the Federal Reserve have on its balance sheet?
- • How much debt does the social security trust fund own?
- • What is the average interest rate on US treasuries on our national debt?
- • CBO Congressional Budget Office projections of growth of the US national debt
- • What is debt to GDP?
- • Revenues and Expenditures of the United States Government budget
- • US debt to revenues collected
Mentioned in this Episode:
Broken Pie Chart Book by Derek Moore https://amzn.to/2MibTSk
Interest on national debt annualized https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/A091RC1Q027SBEA
CBO Congressional Budget Office long term budget outlook https://www.cbo.gov/publication/56516#:~:text=0%205%20Projected-,Debt.,percent%20of%20GDP%20by%202050.
Debt held by public as percentage of GDP https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FYGFGDQ188S
Federal Reserve US Treasuries on balance sheet size https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/TREAST
US Government revenues receipts https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FGRECPT