Manage episode 272401972 series 2444487
- This week in the markets – Cash cattle are $2.70 higher this week. Feeder cattle markets are $3 to $8 higher for the week. October live cattle future contract up $1.65. October feeder cattle up $1.55. Choice box beef price fell $6.25 this week, pressured by lower ribs and loin. Cash hogs were nearly $5 higher this week. The October lean hog future contract gained $.25. Pork cutout value gained $3.70 on strong belly prices.
- Slaughter – 645,000 head of cattle slaughter this week. Hog slaughter this week was 2.587 million head. Hog slaughter, year to date, is 1.2% above year-ago levels.
- Consumer Sentiment – September index of consumer sentiment gained 6.5 percent over August. That’s some of the strongest levels we’ve seen since the start of the coronavirus pandemic. Consumer sentiment was bolstered by both strong consumer sentiment and stronger consumer expectation.
- Global Pork Demand picture – Scott and Meghan talk about some of the drivers for the US global pork market.
- Next week’s reports – Cold Storage, Hogs and Pigs, Livestock Slaughter, and Cattle on Feed