Manage episode 165774385 series 1311971
And we're back!
Hello friends and welcome back to another season of the CampHacker Podcast. In the spirit of starting something new, we wanted to dedicate today's show and few more this season to those who are considering pursuing camp into a full-time commitment. As well, we'll be talking to you directing veterans out there who's job it is to begin the process of mentoring the next generation of camping professionals.
This week, we get the conversation going with CampHackers Dan, Joe, Gab and Travis to scratch the surface of what it takes and the kinds of questions that the budding full-time camp professional needs to start thinking about. Any camp person can tell you that camp isn't a job, it's a lifestyle, but what happens when you choose to make a camp-job, your life's work?
A big aspect of being in full-time camp work is the ability to take the time for some self reflection. So why not start practicing with some of the questions that came up on today's show? Grab your journal, a cup of coffee (or tea if you're using Travis' tool of the week) and start pondering.
Reflective questions for a future creator of camp magic:
- What do you want from this job? To be a full-time programmer, director, or both?
- What are you going to do when you get there? Follow what's in place, or cultivate your vision?
- Do you love to learn? (The answer should be yes)
- Are you interested in the business side of things?
- Is your family or home life ready for your camp life?
These are big - no - huge questions. This list isn't meant to intimidate, but just like you'd expect from your seasonal staff, your heart needs to be in the right place, before you can start to lead other's.
We hope that you love this Podcast. If you know someone out there is ready to take the leap into the full time camp life, then what better way to being your mentoring by sharing this show with them?
Finally, what pieces of advice, or questions would you add to our list? Or what pieces of advice would you give to someone who's thinking of joining the ranks of full-time camp staff? Please feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Next up in the series: You've got the inspiration, now let's get hired!
Tool of the Week – Make Yourself a Better Camp Director
- Travis - Brevelle Automatic Tea Maker
- Gab - Great Way to Clean Your Camp Boats
- Joe - Gmail Inbox Setup System
- Dan - Ideacast from Harvard Business Review - You Office's Hidden Artists and How to Work With Them
- Travis Allison, Summer Camp Consultant - CampHacker.TV
- Dan Weir, Director of Camping Services - Frost Valley YMCA
- Joe Richards, Executive Director - Pearce Williams Christian Centre
- Gabrielle Raill, Camp Director - Camp Ouareau