Manage episode 263337693 series 2545218
Dan and James recorded a live episode on open publishing as part of the Open Publishing Fest. They also ran a survey (from start to finish) during the course of the episode on the public's perception of open scientific publishing and discuss the results.
Here are more stuff they covered, plus links!
- The Open Publishing Fest
- We collected data LIVE thanks to Prolific! Go to prolific.co/everythinghertz to get $50 worth of credit for just $1
- How to build a low cost book scanner
- A prepreprint repository for African researchers
- What is the role of "niche" preprint servers vs. general preprint servers?
- Is there a discoverability crisis?
- Detailed literature search is HARD
- The Octopus publishing platform
- We discuss the results of our real-time survey on the public's perception of open publishing
- Some university have set up a 'data office', to which data requests are sent to (instead of the author). Is this a good idea?
- Are people really doing that many coronavirus studies?
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month or more: Monthly newsletter + Access to behind-the-scenes photos & video via the Patreon app + the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the $1 tier PLUS a bonus mini episode every month (extras + the bits we couldn't include in our regular episodes)
We have a Merch store too, where you can pick up some Hertz gear.
- Prolific: Prolific helps researchers find research participants on demand, with a pool of 75,000 active participants in North America and Europe. Everything Hertz listeners who want to give online sampling a go can get $50 in free Prolific credit that they can use to recruit participants, just go to prolific.co/everythinghertz Promo Code: everythinghertz