Manage episode 275544449 series 2441023
What if Big Little Lies, but in New York City and with no point? That's kind of how Emily and the regulars all felt about The Undoing, the latest Nicole Kidman-David E. Kelley collaboration for HBO; we admired the workmanship, while not really understanding what sets it apart from BLL (besides the quality of the wigs), or buying Kidman and Hugh Grant's chemistry. Will any of us be successfully cliff-hung into watching all six episodes? Later, we investigated Around The Dial with stops at Archer, the new Supermarket Sweep, Revolutionary Girl Utena, The Morning Show, City So Real, and The Queen's Gambit, before location-scouting "Domestic Survivor" for Don's Extra Credit. Emily hoped the signal-to-noise ratio of a fourth-season Halt And Catch Fire episode would be good enough to connect it to the Canon. Stath Lets Flats won, Quibi lost, and Game Time proved a severe insult to the brain (and other things). Quick, look hunted! It's an all-new Extra Hot Great.
- The Undoing
- ATD: Archer
- ATD: Supermarket Sweep
- ATD: Revolutionary Girl Utena
- ATD: The Morning Show
- ATD: City So Real
- Extra Credit: Domestic Survivor
- The Canon: Halt And Catch Fire S04.E02: Signal To Noise
- Winner and Loser of the Week
- Game Time: A Game For Hoopleheads
- Emily Yoshida on Twitter
- Emily's 2019 Hugh Grant profile for Vanity Fair
- Emily's podcast, Night Call
- Night Call's Patreon page
- Tara on the premiere of The Conners for Primetimer
- Tara on Slashfilmcast
- Sarah's "best of Kartemquin playlist" on Best Evidence
- Season Two of The Great American Pop Culture Quiz Show starts next week.
- Photo: Niko Tavernise / HBO
SUPPORT EHG ON PATREON
The EHG gang have been recording this podcast for almost a decade now. In podcasting terms, that makes us positively Methuselahian. Since the start of EHG, our listeners have asked if we had a tip jar or donation system and we'd look at each other and say surely that is a joke, people don't pay other people to do podcasts. We'd email them back "Ha ha ha, good one, Chet" and go about our business. Now we are told this is a real thing that real nice people do. Value for value? In today's topsy turvy world? It's madness but that good kind of madness, like when you wake up at 3:15am and clean your...
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.