Manage episode 265968712 series 2643582
Andy catches up with Chef José Andrés in a rare moment of rest. Chef Andrés has been jumping from one crisis to the next since February, feeding people around the world affected by the pandemic. His organization, World Central Kitchen, is now providing 250,000 fresh meals a day in dozens of cities across America. In total, they’ve served nearly 18 million meals worldwide. They talk about how the pandemic has exacerbated the global hunger crisis and what Chef Andrés is doing to try and solve it. Plus: how to re-open restaurants safely.
Keep up with Andy on Twitter @ASlavitt and Instagram @andyslavitt.
Follow Chef José Andrés @chefjoseandres on Twitter and Instagram.
In the Bubble is supported in part by listeners like you. Become a member, get exclusive bonus content, ask Andy questions, and get discounted merch at https://www.lemonadamedia.com/inthebubble/
Support the show by visiting our sponsors!
- Teladoc provides access to certified doctors from the comfort and safety of home. Register now at www.teladoc.com/
- Talkspace online therapy works with thousands of licensed therapists. Use the promo code BUBBLE to get $100 off your first month and help support the show at talkspace.com
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Zach Fact Update: How much will the COVID-19 drug Remdesivir cost? https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/06/29/remdesivir-gilead-coronavirus-covid-19-drug-price-criticism/
- Dr. Peter Bach of Sloan Kettering Cancer Center weighs in on the price: https://twitter.com/peterbachmd/status/1277600751204917248
- Check out Chef Andrés’s opinion piece in the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/opinion/restaurants-coronavirus-food-aid.html
- And in the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/20/our-people-are-hungry-we-need-leader-who-will-feed-them/
- Read more about World Central Kitchen’s Covid-19 food relief efforts: https://wck.org/chefsforamerica
- Meet Masky, World Central Kitchen’s safety mascot: https://wck.org/masky
- Learn about how the Independent Restaurant Coalition is working to save local restaurants affected by COVID-19: https://www.saverestaurants.com
- Here’s more information about the RESTAURANTS Act, a bipartisan bill which would establish a revitalization fund for independent restaurants affected by COVID-19: https://restaurant.org/news/pressroom/press-releases/restaurants-act-of-2020
- More on the FEED Act: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/05/07/a-bipartisan-group-of-lawmakers-and-jose-andres-want-to-empower-fema-to-meet-americas-growing-hunger-crisis/
To follow along with a transcript and/or take notes for friends and family, go to www.lemonadamedia.com/show/in-the-bubble shortly after the air date.
Stay up to date with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia.