Manage episode 267906960 series 2737812
Raquel Willis, the former executive editor of Out, is an activist, journalist, and writer.
Guest host Patrice Peck is a freelance journalist and writes the Coronavirus News for Black Folks newsletter.
“To my peers, I would just say that we have to rethink our idea of leadership. Rethink our idea of storytelling. As the media, we shouldn’t be seeing ourselves as the owners and the gatekeepers of people’s stories. We actually need to be democratizing this experience—sharing the tools of storytelling with other folks. Folks are hungry to tell their own stories and may not always have the tools.”
Thanks to Mailchimp for sponsoring this week's episode.
- 00:30 "Self-Care for Black Journalists" (Patrice Peck • New York Times • Jul 2020)
- 00:45 Transgender Law Center
- 00:45 Out
- 01:00 Ms. Foundation for Women
- 13:00 National Association of Black Journalists
- 16:45 "Trans Women Are Women. This Isn’t a Debate." (The Root • Mar 2017)
- 19:00 "I Was Born a Boy" (Janet Mock • The Root • Mar 2017)
- 19:30 Orange is the New Black
- 26:30 HowStuffWorks
- 27:15 Transgender Teen's Death Sparks Outcry From Advocates (Eliana Dockterman • Time • Dec 2014)
- 28:00 I"Man Sentenced to 12 Years in Beating Death of Transgender Woman" (James C. McKinley Jr. • New York Times • Apr 2016)
- 38:15 Jack Jones Literary Arts
- 39:30 "Our March Cover Stars: The Mothers and Daughters of the Movement" (Out • February 2019)
- 40:30 BYP100
- 41:00 "Introducing the Out100 Trans Obituaries Project" (Out • November 2019)
- 41:15 "Layleen Cubilette-Polanco Died in the System, but Her Fight Lives On" (Out • November 2019)
- 45:30 ”Overlooked" (New York Times)
See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.