Manage episode 272189895 series 2467687
It's been a bit of a time, in San Francisco. What with blocking out the sun, and then the horrendous smoke, on top of …everything else. But today the cloud literally lifted and we got to go outside again, wearing only one mask. It was simultaneously pathetic and yet also everything.
With this strange levity, with the feeling of fresh air moving through my apartment for the first time in 7 days, there is unease, and bouyant relief. Two tones that this week's feature artist Son Lux consistently bring to their work; pushing dynamics in sound and emotion with deft skill. Their new album is being released in three parts of a year, and the first volumn Tomorrows I just arrived.
While it features familiar tones (if you're a fan of 2018 record of the year Brighter Wounds, you'll know this is the same band) but it's more expansive, sparser in places; the ideas of it not condensed together into a single release. It features many transcendent instrumental moments, and we'll be listening to some of it this evening.
Elsewhere, we rediscovery crunchy guitars and political agitation. Which seems timely.
- Running into You by The Cribs on Night Network (Sonic Blew) 🆕
- Spirals by Django Django on Spirals/The Ark (Because) 🆕
- Model Village by IDLES on Ultra Mono (Partisan) 🆕
- A Lucid Dream by Fontaines D.C. on A Hero's Death (Partisan)
- Modern England by Hallan (Nice Swan) 🆕
- We Can't Be Found by Algiers on There Is No Year (Matador)
- Only (Chasing You) (feat. William Bell) by Son Lux (City Slang) ⭐️ 🆕
- Virile by Moses Sumney on Græ (Jagjaguwar)
- Veluwe by Felbm on Tape 3 (Soundway) 🆕
- Plans We Made by Son Lux on Tomorrows I (City Slang) ⭐️
- Sugar by Sufjan Stevens on The Ascension (Asthmatic Kitty) 🆕
- If I Had My Way by Osees on Protean Threat (Castle Face) 🆕
- Back from the Dead (feat. JLX) by Blood Red Shoes (Self Released) 🆕
- The Turning of Our Bones by Arab Strap on The Turning of Our Bones (Rock Action)
- Killer Scene by Pale Honey (Bolero) 🆕
- For Tomorrow by Doves on The Universal Want (Heavenly) 🆕
- Last Light by Son Lux on Tomorrows I (City Slang) ⭐️
- Open My Eyes by LA Priest on GENE (Domino)
- Summertime by Charlotte Day Wilson on Take Care of You/Summertime (Stone Woman) 🆕
- Hurt by Arlo Parks (Transgressive) 🆕
- Feel Away (feat. James Blake and Mount Kimbie) by Slowthai on Feel Away (Method) 🆕
- Made of Light by Kayla Painter on Made of LIght/Sacrifice the Other (Drawstring) 🆕
- Lost by 3STRANGE on The New World (Soft Computing) 🆕
Check out the full archives on the website.