Manage episode 266032465 series 2606074
Summer is here, which for parents means Season Two of pandemic parenting. Parent tempers are triggered in so many ways now and we’ve lost access to the time and space that we need to calm our buttons. If you’re a parent and losing your cool more than you’d like with your kids, join Yael for an engaging and refreshingly irreverent interview with Dr. Carla Naumberg, author of How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t With Your Kids: A Practical Guide to Becoming a Calmer, Happier Parent. Spoiler alert: This episode’s chock-full of advice for how to make temper buttons less pushable and practical skills for what to do when you’re ready to explode at your kids!
Listen and Learn:
- Carla’s 5 basic truths about losing it with our kids
- Owning our triggers
- Why kids are button pushers and not triggers
- Specific practices to “calm” our buttons
- Why self-compassion is key, especially now, and how to engage it
- Best practices to apply after losing it with your kids/after the sh*t storm
About Dr. Carla Naumburg:
Carla Naumburg, Ph.D., is a writer, mother, and clinical social worker. She is the author of three parenting books: the bestselling How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t With Your Kids (Workman, 2019), Ready, Set, Breathe: Practicing Mindfulness with Your Children for Fewer Meltdowns and a More Peaceful Family (New Harbinger, 2015), and Parenting in the Present Moment: How to Stay Focused on What Really Matters (Parallax, 2014). Carla has appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Huffington Post, CNN, and Mindful Magazine, among other places. Carla lives outside of Boston with her husband, daughters, and two totally insane cats.
- How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t With Your Kids: A Practical Guide to Becoming a Calmer, Happier Parent by Carla Naumburg
- Ready, Set, Breathe: Practicing Mindfulness with Your Children for Fewer Meltdowns and a More Peaceful Family by Carla Naumburg
- Parenting in the Present Moment: How to Stay Focused on What Really Matters by Carla Naumburg
- Self-Compassion for Parents: Nurture Your Child By Caring for Yourself by Susan Pollack
Related Psychologists Off The Clock Episodes
- 113. Self-Compassion for Parents with Dr. Susan Pollak
- 123. Tantrum Survival Guide with Dr. Schrag Hershberg
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock.
Like what you’re hearing? Support us on Patreon.
We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts. It helps us spread the word to more folks like you!
Please note the information on Psychologists Off The Clock is intended for informational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for psychological or medical care. If you are looking for professional help, visit our resources page for guidance on how to find a therapist. If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, call 9-1-1.