Manage episode 271465445 series 2786419
Do you have a fireplace or a fire pit at home? Do you let your children light and manage fires? If not, why not? Today, we’re talking about the benefits of children working with fire, why children will seek it out, why it’s important to incorporate it into your outdoor play and how to do it safely.
👉 Key Discussion Points:
- The purpose of fire activities in the home/school/centre
- Playing with dangerous elements – such as fire, water and animals is one of the 6 Pillars of Risk Play
- We are drawn to fire. For thousands of years, humans have relied on fire to survive. It’s almost an innate, biological response. So we need to pre-empt this curiosity.
- We live in a country that makes swimming lessons compulsory at school because we are surrounded by oceans but doesn’t make fire safety compulsory despite us being a bush fire prone nation.
- The key concerns of parents and educators
- How we introduce fire at Wildlings Forest School and how you can too
- Safety measures you can put in place to reduce risk
“It is often the risks to adults – blame, loss of reputation, liability – that cloud providers’ judgements when it comes to allowing children to take risks.” Gill, T. 2007.
👉 Guest Details
Vicci Oliver and Nicki Farrell are adventurous nature play makers, risk-takers, children’s rights advocates and the co-founders of Wildlings Forest School. We are the hosts of the ‘Raising Wildlings’ podcast and we put the dirt back in childhood.
Wildlings aims to get more children outdoors connecting with nature, creating the village parents are yearning for and inspiring change in the education system.
During any Wildlings Forest School program, you are likely to find Wildlings up trees, sliding down mud slides, whittling with pocket knives, lighting fires and building rafts. We let kids, be kids - because children can’t learn to protect nature if they’ve never had a childhood in it.
👉 Wildlings Forest School Contact Details
If you’d like a little inspiration to get your family outside, head to www.wildlingsforestschool.com/free-downloadables, to get your free copy of our famous chocolate orange campfire cake recipe. It’s vegan so suits all dietary requirements
👉 Did You Enjoy This Episode?
If you enjoyed this episode and the Raising Wildlings podcast generally, we have a favour. Please take two minutes to subscribe, and to write a rating and a review. You can do that on Apple Podcasts right now by clicking here. If you are an Android user, you can follow the podcast on Spotify here and Google Podcasts here. Those actions will help the podcast reach more people, and we would be truly grateful. Thank you so much.