Manage episode 271465446 series 2786419
In this episode we look at the way the Australian Curriculum is embedded through the lens of nature at one of Australia’s newest independent school in Port Macquarie – The Nature School. Their early learning and play programs include bush immersion for their playgroup, early years and vacation care as well as their independent primary school. We are joined by Jaqcui Leach who is the Head of Early Learning & Play at The Nature School and Catherine Oehlman who is the founding head of The Nature School Primary. .
👉 Our Discussion
- How the primary school grew out of the bush immersion programs in their Early Learning Division – teaching half the day inside and half outside while meeting outcomes and delivering curriculum requirements
- How the COVID isolation experience is shining a light on how children really feel about their learning
- Connecting learning to the world they live in through real experiences
- Learning never stops and how we can use the outdoors and the community to extend their understanding of the world
- How we continually challenge and reflecting on our teaching practice – remembering our why
- The challenges of delivering a accredited bush immersion Early Years Service
- What the day in the life of a child looks like at the Nature School
- The benefits of having a nature based vision for educational outcomes – the release of the pressure cooker, reduced anxiety and improved confidence.
- Children as active global citizens – their voice is important
- The impact of the 2019 bushfires
Don’t forget to download our “Classroom Outdoor Learning Checklist” so that you can start some conversations at your child’s school about nature play. Simply head to www.wildlingsforestschool.com/free-downloadables to get your copy!
👉 Guest Details
Jaqcui Leach is the Head of Early Learning & Play at The Nature School Inc. Over the last 8 years Jacqui has worked in early learning services, bringing in her love of learning in the outdoor environment. She is strongly passionate about the inclusive and therapeutic benefits of nature for all children.
Catherine Oehlman is the founding Head of The Nature School Primary. She is an accomplished educator, writer, children’s poet, and self-confessed bird nerd.
👉 The Nature School’s Details
👉 Links and Resources
👉 Did You Enjoy This Episode?
If you enjoyed this episode and the Raising Wildlings podcast generally, we have a favour. Please take two minutes to subscribe, and to write a rating and a review. You can do that on Apple Podcasts right now by clicking here. If you are an Android user, you can follow the podcast on Spotify here and Google Podcasts here. Those actions will help the podcast reach more people, and we would be truly grateful. Thank you so much.