Manage episode 255406731 series 1426437
Dawn Clifford Ph.D., RD, author of Motivational interviewing in Nutrition and Fitness, and associate professor at Northern Arizona University (NAU) joins us to talk about how she discovered a weight-inclusive approach and Health at Every Size®...and why she wasn't convinced right away. Now, Dawn is a refreshing agent of change in dietetics education, bringing HAES® and non-diet concepts to her students and peers. She directs a Future Education Model MPH program at NAU and loves to write and connect research on motivational interviewing and weight inclusive practices. In addition to sharing more about her work with students and fellow educators, we talk about how she navigates conversations on the topics of HAES® and Intuitive Eating with colleagues and how she’s committed to changing the future of dietetics and public health education.
Listener Question: Based on what I’ve heard, dietetics education is steeped in diet culture. Should I really pursue the RD credential if I align with Health At Every Size® and a non-diet approach? Is it worth it?
- The 2020 RD Real Talk anonymous listener survey. Tell us what you think!
- WIND Resources can be found here
- The new WIND Facebook Page, sharing resources, articles, event updates, and more!
- Preorder the 4th edition of Intuitive Eating!
- Researcher Tracy Tylka’s paper on the weight inclusive versus weight normative approach
- ASDAH webinar: When your client says, "But I want to lose weight!”
- The HAES Curriculum resource.
- Nourish Your Knowledge Facebook group, for RDs2Be.
- RD Real Talk episode where I chat with Lauren Newman about challenging weight centric teaching, and the follow-up episode with her professor (at the time) Monica Milonovich.
- HAES Dietetic Educators FB group
- NAU MPH Program website
Follow Dawn’s work:
- Dawn’s NAU Profile
- Instagram: @Dawnthedietitan
- Twitter: @DawnCliffordRD
- Youtube Channel: Dawn Clifford's MI Tips
- Book Website: Motivational Interviewing in Nutrition and Fitness
Colleges listed with HAES® incorporated into parts of the curriculum:
- Northern Arizona University
- Simmons College
- California State University, Chico State
- The MPH program at University of Michigan
Your host, Heather Caplan RD: HeatherCaplan.com, @RDRealTalk.
Have you left a review on iTunes yet? If not, please do! Click here and tap the stars.
Questions or requests for the show? Reach out: RDRealTalk @ Gmail.com
Show notes live here: weightinclusivenutrition.com/podcast
Last but not least, get more RD Real Talk from the newsletter, landing in your inbox monthly!