Manage episode 260082871 series 2624494
Are you tired of the battle of wills to get your kids to listen, and feeling guilty and frustrated after yet another yelling match?
Robbin McManne is a certified Parenting Coach through the Jai Institute for Parenting. She has worked with a wide variety of parents from Canada, The United States, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. Robbin feels honored to have found this way of parenting and to be able to help families who are experiencing some of the same struggles she has faced. Because of this work, Robbin is a more confident, happy, and connected parent.
In this episode, Robbin McManne dives deep into her background – when she entered the world of motherhood, she thought she knew herself well. However, Robbin wasn’t able to reconcile the way the birth went with her child. It set her up for years of feeling bad about herself. Robbin didn’t feel like she was a good enough mother – she was in a deep depression, and she yelled all the time. Peaceful parenting changed Robbin’s entire world.
Robbin speaks about finding our triggers. We can unconsciously yell at our children based on the things that happened in our own childhood. Robbin would yell because her father would never listen to her. One of Robbin’s clients would get triggered because his family was cold with him, so he started to be cold with his child. It can be challenging for men to articulate their feelings. When we yell, we are feeling unvalued and disregarded. There is a reason everyone has different triggers – it all depends on our experiences.
Then, Robbin talks about why we need to stop shaming ourselves. We need to allow ourselves grace and self-compassion. To be human is to be flawed. It’s okay! Robbin says we need to stop for a second and think about what our anger is about. A great deal of our happiness comes from being intentional. When we have thoughts, we need to realize that they are not facts. Do not label things because your brain will try and prove them to be true. We need to interrupt our patterns. Stay tuned as Robbin explains why it’s not too late, and she reveals some quick parenting tips.
In this Episode:
- About Robbin McManne [ 4:40 ]
- We need to reflect on how our parents treated us [ 8:40 ]
- About the turning point for Robbin [ 11:25 ]
- How to find your triggers [ 13:30 ]
- We have to stop shaming ourselves [ 19:30 ]
- Why we need to be intentional [ 26:00 ]
- How to navigate the idea that “it’s too late” [ 36:40 ]
- Quick parenting tips from Robbin [ 42:20 ]
- How Robbin is a Rebel For Joy [ 47:50 ]
Soul Shifting Quotes:
- “Peaceful parenting changed everything for me.” -Robbin McManne
- “Our kids are our mirror back to us of what we need to heal inside ourselves.” -Robbin McManne
- “We don’t even know why we are angry sometimes.” -Robbin McManne
- “Our thoughts are not facts.” -Robbin McManne
- “Our brains can change and grow at any time; it’s never too late.” -Robbin McManne
5 Day Triple Your Joy Challenge: www.rebelsforjoy.com/free
Facebook Group www.facebook.com/groups/rebelsforjoy
Robbin’s Website: https://www.parentingforconnection.com
Listen to Parenting Our Future