Manage episode 267572745 series 2363289
This week on Saturday Mourning Cartoons, we're fielding a long-standing Listener Request courtesy of Charles from Michigan. What's Charles want us to watch? Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, not to be confused with the follow-up anime Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls or even the similarly titled but earlier gateway anime standout Ninja Scroll. You've got to keep your ninja clans and scrolls straight, people.
In this 2005 Gonzo-animated adaptation of Fûtarô Yamada's iconic works, the heirs to the Kouga and Iga ninja clans -- Gennosuke and Oboro -- hope that the unsteady truce between their tribes would last. But much like the Romeo and Juliet story this tale takes inspiration from, fate denies the lovers and thrusts their people into war after centuries of peace. The terms are set on two scrolls: One, bearing a list of Kouga warriors, and another that holds a Iga fighters. The names found on these scrolls can only be crossed out in blood... but will Basilisk be worth watching once it's all said and done? Listen in to find out!
Support the Show through Patreon:
Want to find our cohosts online?
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/DrClawMD
- Buy the book 'The Science of Breaking Bad' - https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/science-breaking-bad
Sean Paul Ellis
- IG and twitter @seanpaulellis
- Performer at Washington Improv Theater where you can find tickets and times.
- The Bureau podcast: https://tunein.com/podcasts/Comedy-Podcasts/The-Bureau-p1290704/
If you are digging our show and want to help you out, then you can do so in the following ways:
1. Recommend a cartoon to us:
Call us and leave a message at 202-681-4406. If you call then we will 100% review you recommendations if we haven't watched the cartoon yet.
2. Leave a review on iTunes with the following message titled "Kouga?“ with the review, “Or Iga?"
3. Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SaturdayMourningCartoons/
4. Follow us on twitter @MourningToons
5. Check us out on Instagram @SaturdayMourningCartoons