Manage episode 262685195 series 2363289
There's a good chance you'll know Rob Paulsen's voice when you hear it. Be it Raphael in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series or Donatello in the 2012 version, the iconic Warner Bros. mascot Yakko Warner from Animaniacs or the hit character Pinky from the super successful spin-off series Pinky and the Brain, Carl Wheezer from Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, or one of any of his nearly 1,300 roles, Paulsen has been honing his voice-acting craft for 40 years and continues to go strong today. His iconic characters from Animaniacs are due for another go-round this fall with Steven Spielberg's reboot of the series on Hulu, but Paulsen has plenty of other reasons to celebrate.
I had a chance to chat with Paulsen as part of our ongoing Saturday Mourning Cartoons interview series. We talked about the upcoming new series and what it was like to reunite with the returning cast and crew, along with newcomers to the title, plus the musical roadshow Animaniacs in Concert. We also chatted about his battle with throat cancer and his position as the 2020 spokesperson for the Head and Neck Cancer Alliance's Oral Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Program. All of those stories and more are also available to read at your leisure in Paulsen's recently published memoir, "Voice Lessons: How a Couple of Ninja Turtles, Pinky, and an Animaniac Saved My Life." Be sure to check out those links for more on the advocacy program and Paulsen's publication, and follow along with Paulsen himself on Twitter, Instagram, and at his podcast, Talkin' Toons.
Support the Show through Patreon:
Want to find our cohosts online?
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/DrClawMD
- Buy the book 'The Science of Breaking Bad' - https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/science-breaking-bad
Sean Paul Ellis
- IG and twitter @seanpaulellis
- Performer at Washington Improv Theater where you can find tickets and times.
- The Bureau podcast: https://tunein.com/podcasts/Comedy-Podcasts/The-Bureau-p1290704/
If you are digging our show and want to help you out, then you can do so in the following ways:
1. Recommend a cartoon to us:
Call us and leave a message at 202-681-4406. If you call then we will 100% review you recommendations if we haven't watched the cartoon yet.
2. Leave a review on iTunes with the following message titled "Hellooooooo“ with the review, “Nurse!"
3. Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SaturdayMourningCartoons/
4. Follow us on twitter @MourningToons
5. Check us out on Instagram @SaturdayMourningCartoons