Manage episode 239828200 series 2343033
Is there a link between the rise in consumerism, the endless advertising messages that assault us thousands of times a day and the increase in body image issues? According to today’s guest, Kali Gray, the answer is a resounding yes.
Kali is a body confidence expert and a “non diet” dietician and in today’s episode she and Brooke discuss the the relationship between food security and body image issues, while also looking at the crossover between slow living and the work of reframing our perspective on food, self-care, self-worth and the food we eat.
Kali also turns the interview tables around on Brooke at one point, sparking a conversation on how big changes such as these take time, and no matter how well-versed we are in consumerism, health, wellness, body image and food, there’s always going to be part of us that requires a little extra love and empathy.
Questions featured in this episode:
- Capitalism and consumerism are both linked to our dissatisfaction with ourselves and our bodies. How do you encourage people to recognise that and make changes so that we get to decide what is good and right for us individually?
- It’s counter-cultural to teach and encourage people to love themselves and accept themselves as they are, particularly in the face of a society that teaches us to find fault in our bodies from a very young age. Is that something that comes naturally to you?
- We both encourage people to ask the question WHY? Why do we do what we do? Why do we buy what we buy? Why do we eat what we eat? Do you find that once we begin to uncover that why, it becomes simpler to start making changes?
- As a process, this asking why and digging deep is uncomfortable. How do you encourage people to accept that this is outside their comfort zone and move through regardless?
- You highlight mindful eating as a way to begin to heal our relationship with food, but what actually is it to eat more mindfully?
Looking for more Slow?
- Find show notes, resources and links at slowyourhome.com/season3
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our love letters
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon
- Or leave a rating or review in iTunes
As always, thank you for listening!
287 episodes available. A new episode about every 10 days averaging 44 mins duration .