Simple Money Solutions: Personal Finance Canada, Personal Finance from a Canadian Perspective, Financial Independence, Lifestyle Choices, Early Retirement
SMS 166 – Is Being Too Busy a Problem?
Manage episode 250272054 series 1254097
Is Being Too Busy a Problem?
We often over estimate what we can accomplish is a day and under estimate what we can accomplish in a year.
Money is the lubricant of life, not enough and life is a grind, too much and your life has no direction. Too much disposable money can be a cause of being too busy.
Many people view those that are not busy as being lazy or self-absorbed when really they are just trying to enjoy life on their own terms.
Is there a problem…
The problem with being too busy is it could jeopardize our goals in life and we often think we have a great reason or at least we think we do, when really we are just consumed with busy work rather than important work.
How does being too busy relate to people in your life?
We often say we are too busy for a particular activity or action, what we really mean is that something is not important enough for me to consider it a priority.
Ask about the law of diminishing returns
The law of diminishing returns – a point at which the level of profits or benefits gained is less than the amount of money or energy invested
Hiring a service to do your home chores. Such as house cleaning or year work, might be a sign that you are too busy.
15 Signs You Are Too Busy And Should Stop – LifeHack.org
There are 3 thing at play here:
- Having too many required actions for a given day that exceed 24 hours
- Allowing your required tasks to completely fill a 24 hour period
- Wanting the image or illusion of have required actions that exceed 24 hours
Causes of being busy:
- Poor planning
- Poorly designed life
Reason to not want to be busy:
- When your busy your judgement is comprised
- When your busy you don’t have time to collect your thoughts
- When your busy you put your health at risk
- When you’re busy, you make busy excuses for actual problems
- When you’re busy, you unconsciously sacrifice consistency
How to Slow down:
- Plan to do less – if you are a parent then that is your job, hobby, sport, and general interest
- Work life balance – this does not exist with a high paying career, you have to make a choice
- Prioritize – will this matter in one year, five years, ten years, on my death bed
- Enjoy the simple things in life – don’t just do them learn to enjoy them