SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast: The Good Life Approach - Your weekly podcast with the little extra Solution Focus for your daily life!
SFP 104 – A Regular Dose of Solution Focus: SF in the Suicide Prevention Space with Michele Orr
Manage episode 267043113 series 2115681
SFP 104 - Episode 104: A Regular Dose of Solution Focus: SF in the Suicide Prevention Space with Michele Orr
by Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Simply Focus Podcast |36:43http://www.sfontour.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/SFP-104-A-Regular-Dose-of-Solution-Focus-SF-in-the-Suicide-Prevention-Space-with-Michelle-Orr.m4a
“Despite what went wrong, what did the team members manage to do well, and how did they do that, and how can they do more of that?”
“Despite whatever the critical incident, tragedy, horrible thing that happened (…) there are still opportunities for someone to achieve their best hopes, for something different to happen, for something to be better, for a preferred outcome to occur.”
“For someone even just to walk in the door of a mental health service, they want something to be different. To walk in the door, you don’t come to be told how many more problems you have. (…) the person comes for something do be different.”
In today’s episode, we talk with Michele Orr, Mental Health Nurse, Team Leader and pioneer of the Brief Intervention Team in Adult Community Mental Health in Eastern Metropolitan Melbourne, Solution-Focused Practitioner, and Board Member of the ASFA (Australasian Solution Focused Association), about
- what fascinates her with Solution Focus,
- when she first got in touch with SF and how she started working with it,
- what helps her to bring in SF in a problem saturated world,
- how she applies SF in her team meetings and in the organisation,
- how people with suicidal thoughts react to her solution-focused way of talking,
- how she shifts conversations about critical incidents and difficult situations,
- her new research project to show the effectiveness of SF in suicide prevention,
- how to elicit reasons for living and the „insteadiness“,
- what is sometimes difficult and how she manages to deal with that,
- how to maintain your SF fitness,
- connecting to the SF community worldwide.
- The Challenge of The Week: Come up with the first 10 things that come to your mind that you do well in your SF work.
- Check out Michele Orr here on the ASFA website.
- Learn more about the AASFBT (Australasian Association Solution Focused Brief Therapy) which is currently about to rename to ASFA (Australasian Solution Focused Association).
- Check out episode #37 Training Solution Focus to listen to Michele when she talks about the Solution Focused Train the Trainer workshop with Heather Fiske and Brenda Zalter-Minden.
- Find out more about Pam King her work in episode #8 Let’s play…: Interview with Pamela K. King.
- Learn more about SFBTA and join this years SFBTA conference! It will for the first time take place online – so you can join from all over the world without travel costs!
- Check out Our Free Online Program Hope and Reasons for Living and learn more about Solution-Focused Suicide Prevention.
- Listen to Brigitte Lavoie in episodes #25 Seeing Opportunities and #95 Writing the Headlines of Your Life Today.
- Learn more about Even George and Chris Iveson from BRIEF in London here.
- Maybe you are also interested in episode #77 with Chris Iveson It’s Not Your Life! Being Neutral in Solution Focused Conversations.
- In episode #27 we talk with Heather Fiske about Hope in Action: A conversation about Solution Focused Suicide Prevention.
- Want to learn more about Microanalysis of Face to Face Dialogue?
- Check out our various podcasts around microanalysis here. Right before you come to the podcast episodes there is a bar with different tabs such as Microanalysis, Practice-based evidence, SF in Schools. Click on the tab Microanalysis and find all related episodes.
- Join our Online Course Translating Microanalysis of Face-to-Face Dialogue into Solution-Focused Practice.
- There are many great ONLINE events coming up to get your dose of SF:
- July 28, 2020: Online Launch-Party of the Journal of Solution Focused Practices (JSFP)
- August 3-7, 2020: SOL Summer Retreat 2020
- August 6-7, 2020: SF 24 – Building hope, empowering change
- October 2-4, 2020: The Solution Focused School Conference
- November 12-14, 2020: Fist Online SFBTA Conference including the SF Research Day and great pre-conference workshops. Stay tuned!
- For further upcoming events please check the SF Community Calendar. And please also add your Solution Focused events to this calendar to show what’s going on in this awesome worldwide community. Thank you dear Rolf F. Katzenberger for putting this calendar together and a “Thank You” to everyone who helps making this calendar a vivid overview of SF events by adding upcoming Solution Focused events to this source!
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Michele and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!
Listen to more Simply Focus Podcast episodes:
The post SFP 104 – A Regular Dose of Solution Focus: SF in the Suicide Prevention Space with Michele Orr appeared first on SF on tour.