FLASHBACK FRIDAY - Dr. T. Colin Campbell on Killing Cancer and Chronic Disease with Plant-Based Protein
Manage episode 257174189 series 2518360
If a simple dietary change could limit the destructive effects of cancer, reverse chronic conditions, and heal your body, how quickly would you make the switch?
We’ve all been touched by chronic disease, whether we’ve been personally diagnosed or watched a loved one struggle through an illness.
Dr. T. Colin Campbell has dedicated his career to proving that a diagnosis doesn’t have to be a death sentence and that prevention is possible.
Dr. Campbell is the Jacob Gould Schurman Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University, where he also founded the online Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate program.
He’s the author of more than 300 peer-reviewed papers, has been featured in several documentaries including Forks Over Knives, and has delivered hundreds of lectures worldwide.
You’ve likely heard of the China Project, a comprehensive nutritional study lead by Dr. Campbell which was dubbed “the Grand Prix of epidemiology" by The New York Times. The study is the basis of The China Study: Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health, a book Dr. Campbell co-authored with his son, and which has sold more than 2 million copies.
In this episode, Dr. Campbell joins Dotsie and Alexandra to explain the link between animal products and chronic disease, as he has been doing for more than six decades.
You’ll hear the surprising effect of animal protein on cancer cells, why animal protein is detrimental to our bodies, and the truth behind “low-carb” fad diets.
He shares the evidence he’s accumulated over a lifetime of research to show that making the switch is the most effective way to better your health, fight illness, and prevent chronic conditions.
What we discuss in this episode:
- How Alexandra and Dotsie’s interview with Chef AJ encouraged Alexandra to ditch processed foods, and how she’s feeling one month later
- How Dr. Campbell went from trying to promote animal-based protein to proving himself wrong, and the biggest takeaways from The China Project
- The makeup of animal protein that leads to more cancer, and how we know we can turn cancer cells “off” by switching to plant-based protein
- What do people mean when they call animal-based protein “high-quality protein”? Is it really better for humans?
- The self-fulfilling prophecy of doctors assuming patients won’t comply with a plant-based diet
- How animal protein leads to higher cholesterol, and cholesterol’s role in heart disease
- Dr. Campbell explains the two types of fats and the correct way to incorporate fat into your diet
- Why Dr. Campbell considers low-carbohydrate diets the greatest scams in nutritional science and some surprising facts about the doctor who coined the term “carb”
- Why a whole-foods plant-based diet is ideal, regardless of whether you’re looking for short-term weight loss or long-term health
Connect with Switch4Good
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Switch4Good/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/switch4good/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SwitchForGood
- Website: switch4good.org