Manage episode 279628595 series 2762883
By Audioboom, Marcus Luttrell, and Andrew Brockenbush. Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio is streamed directly from their servers. Hit the Subscribe button to track updates in Player FM, or paste the feed URL into other podcast apps.
As a bomb technician in Afghanistan, Johnny “Joey” Jones experienced the worst possible scenario in an IED-related incident. It resulted in the loss of both of his legs above the knee and severe damage to his right forearm. In this week’s Team Never Quit episode, he describes in detail the sequence of events that led to that horrific event.
But that event didn’t stop him from dedicating his life to the service of other veterans and their families as well as serving as a Fox News contributor. After two combat deployments and eight years of active service in the Marine Corps, Johnny “Joey” Jones live his life to the fullest.
In this episode you will hear:
- “Get it right, or people die” – that’s a good way to train.
- When I leaned back [from the wall] I stepped on an IED that was there; it threw me through the air. It was truly an amazing experience.
- There was no noise. Everything just turned into a giant cloud.
- My right arm was fileted open and the bones were broken, so when I reached up, my hand stayed in my lap. I remember looking at it. It didn’t hurt for like an hour.
- My legs were completely gone, from the knee down.
- You gotta stop the bleeding if you want to live.
- I learned at that moment, I didn’t know the Lord’s Prayer.
- I lose my legs; other guys lose their life.
- TNT won’t cut you open; it’s gonna pick you up and throw you.
- C4 may not move you two feet, but it’s gonna cut right through you.
- I deployed this really good-shaped single Marine with no responsibilities, and I came home bandaged up on all four limbs with a son and a girlfriend.
- I just never accepted that life’s responsibilities were going to be any different for me because I got blown up.
- Anything worth doing is worth doing right and anything worthwhile is never easy.
- If I can find a way to be in control of my destiny, it's game on. I might not succeed at everything, but I’ll be there to find out.
- I’m trying to kill this deer in my yard, so I’ve got an AR at each level of my house, so if he pops up, I’m gonna take him out.
- Get up, get over it, get going.