Manage episode 270105395 series 1694076
Last week, short-term blackouts rolled across an overheated California after the grid operator said there was not enough power to meet demand.
This wasn’t supposed to happen again. Not after the Enron scandal. Not after 19 years of reforms. We have a very different grid now.
Renewables skeptics, including President Trump, are seizing on the incident. What really happened? Where do we place blame? We explain the confluence of grid-management factors.
Then, coal power generation in the United States plunged 30% in just the first half of this year. But what Asia, where 80% of coal gets burned now? What hope is there for a coal decline there? We’ll look at China, Japan and India.
Finally, stunning public health research. What happens when you combine this up-to-date science with the new, low-cost renewable energy? You get a blockbuster picture, that’s what. We’ll examine new research that shows the health benefits alone pay for our energy transition.
- New York Times: Rolling Blackouts in California Have Power Experts Stumped
- GTM: Western Heat Wave Tests California’s Clean Grid Transition
- Twitter: Ed Burgess Tesla Powerwall Thread
- Reuters: China's New Coal Projects Account for 90% of Global Total
- The Guardian: India Plans to Fell Ancient Forest to Create 40 New Coalfields
- New York times: Japan Races to Build New Coal-Burning Power Plants, Despite the Climate Risks
- Vox: Roberts: Air Pollution Is Much Worse Than We Thought
- Printed version of Dr. Shindell’s testimony
The Energy Gang is brought to you by Fluence, a global leader in battery-based energy storage technology and services. From commercializing the first grid-connected battery systems in 2008 to the multi-gigawatt fleet being deployed for customers globally today, the Fluence team is ensuring that storage is the cornerstone of the electric future. Learn more.
The Energy Gang is brought to you by Nor-Cal Control. As a total controls and monitoring solution provider, Nor-Cal supports every phase of your project, from turnkey design solutions to post-OEM enhancements, troubleshooting and training. As the only system integrator in solar PV that comes from a traditional power generation background, Nor-Cal has earned a reputation as the “strongest in controls.” Learn more.