Manage episode 241910310 series 2510351
Chronic skin rashes are frustrating at any age, but they're particularly heartbreaking to see in young children. My guest today has some incredible tips to share about preventing and treating eczema (and itchy skin in general) in children.
My guest today is Dr. Elisa Song, MD. She is a holistic pediatrician, pediatric functional medicine expert, and mama to two crazy fun kids.
In her integrative pediatric practice, Whole Family Wellness, she’s helped thousands of kids get to the root causes of their health concerns and helped their parents understand how to help their children thrive – body, mind, and spirit – by integrating conventional pediatrics with functional medicine, homeopathy, acupuncture, herbal medicine, and essential oils.
Dr. Song created Healthy Kids Happy Kids to share her advice and adventures as a holistic pediatrician and mama.
Join us as we talk about childhood eczema: root causes, triggers, treatment, and how to try and prevent it.
Have you healed your child's eczema holistically? Tell me about it in the comments!
In this episode:
- Hidden root causes of eczema in children and babies
- Can a mother's microbiome affect the microbiome of the child growing inside her?
- What issues can manifest due to topical steroid use in children?
- Possible testing parents can consider for their child's gut
- The importance of zinc
- Parasites and the problem with conventional parasite testing
- If eczema seems to run in your family, how to try and prevent your child from developing it
"Mama's gut microbiome can impact the health of the developing baby inside you and also the health of the baby once the baby's born." [6:07]
"The problem with steroids is that they're just suppressing the symptoms." [8:52]
"Zinc is often really critical to help support the healing of the lining of the gut." [15:34]
"Parasites are kind of a double edged sword because if we have parasites very early on in life, it can actually train our immune system to have a healthy immune response." [17:34]