Manage episode 272236810 series 2567796
For couples experiencing a military deployment, a homecoming isn't always like the movies. Reintegration can be a challenge. Let's take a look at what people are feeling and a few tips to have a smooth reunion.
Special Guest Sandra Pinard is the Deployment Coordinator at the Esquimalt Military Family Resource Centre. She previously appeared on a previous episode to talk about preparing couples for deployment.
- What people are feeling leading up to reunion
- Is reunion stressful?
- 5:38 Homecoming is not what you see in the movies
- Communication tips
- 8:38 Give yourself the same amount of time as the length of the deployment
- 16:50 All feelings are normal
- 19:25 Discourage surprises
- Ease back into things
- Don't be too firm on scheduling things
Quotes“Couples have to renegotiate all of the different parts of being a couple, not just the intimate part, not just the who mows the lawn." - Sandra Pinard
"So homecoming is not what you see in the movies. It is not this military member is in their white uniform, running down the jetty to their spouse who's in a dress and high heels and then they go off into the romantic sunset. That is not generally the case of what homecoming is like." - Sandra Pinard
- Thank you to Organized Sound Productions for their help bringing this podcast to life.