128: Advancing Alzheimer's Disease Interventions. Looking at Metabolism, Genotype and Lab Tests | Team Sherzai, MD
Manage episode 274782587 series 1854779
Utilizing a strong scientific foundation both through their own research and the research of others, Dr. Dean and Dr. Ayesha Sherzai present a solid case for the reduction of Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia through prevention.
Show notes for episode found here: https://bit.ly/2ICAmS3
Co-directors of the Brain Health and Alzheimer’s Prevention Program at Loma Linda University Medical Center, Team Sherzai is the dynamic husband and wife duo behind the largest clinical and observational study on Alzheimer’s to date as well as the co-authors of The Alzheimer’s Solution*, a must-read primer that details their extensive research, chronicles the remarkable results they have experienced working with patients first-hand, and sets forth the first ever comprehensive program to prevent Alzheimer’s disease, improve cognitive function, and ultimately optimize long-term brain health.
1. Alzheimer's Disease diagnosis and prevention
2. Genotype (15:40 - 20:40)
- APOE-4 gene
- Using GWAS to identify alzheimers disease linked genes
- Other genes are PEN1, 2 and APP - deterministic genes
- Determining your rate of getting AD from your genotype
3. Cognitive testing prior to further diagnosis
4. Prevalence of AD in the US and the pathology of AD
5. The future of medicine- a personalised approach
6. Metabolic dysfunction, CGM and pathways that lead to AD
“Food is the single greatest tool we have in the fight against Alzheimer’s.” Ayesha Sherzai
If you enjoyed the episode and have a spare 1-2 minutes please leave a review on iTunes so the Neuro Experience podcast ranks higher and becomes more discoverable for other listeners.
Sign up to Louisa's email newsletter: https://bit.ly/37bR58X
Connect with Louisa on Instagram: https://bit.ly/2SXPA5M