142. How to Be Happy & Confident in a Looks-Obsessed World (The Beauty Myth-Busting Episode!) with Anuschka Rees
Manage episode 234023565 series 1429114
Trust me when I say that if there’s a voice that can cut through all the BS around beauty standards and body image pressure, oh my, it’s today’s guest. Anuschka Rees whole motive with her hot off the press book, Beyond Beautiful is to help women stop obsessing so much over appearance, stop attributing their self-worth to their looks and start to recognize that the value of beauty has been INFLATED to the max in our society. Chatting with this girl literally settled my stomach (I’m not exaggerating!). In a pistachio nutshell, instead of worrying about if you’re beautiful and learning to see beauty in your “flaws”, she wants you to take beauty out of the equation altogether! Just knock it on out.
This chat literally schooled me - I learned some history, became more media literate and actually have started to have so much more pride in the fact that, honestly, I kind of naturally don’t give two hoots what I look like and I kind of always thought that was so lazy or unladylike but now I realize it’s actually awesome that I prioritize living over looking. And I wish that for you too. However this episode touches you, touch it, it will.
Get happy to hear:
- The difference between body positivity and body neutrality
- How to tackle beauty myths on a daily basis
- Why the era of “body positivity” and “empowerment” hasn’t resulted in more confident women
- Why regular people are editing their photos and how to become less obsessed with their Insta feeds
- How the societal value of beauty is affecting the mental health of women
- A practical conversation about banishing appearance-related rules
- How advertisers are using the body positivity movement in their favor
- How to stop obsessing about whether your appearance is enough
- How to stop equating self-worth to your appearance
- And more!
Links related to this episode: