175. BESTOF’19: Stress = Junk Food of The Soul. Or: THE FLIPPIN BEST INFLAMMATION EPISODE EVER! with Dr. Will Cole
Manage episode 251349573 series 1429114
You know how health is wealth? Well, as my phenomenal functional medicine practitioner friend Dr. Will Cole says in this chat: you don’t have to be wealthy to be healthy.
Dr. Cole, or Will, is doc who relies little on prescriptions on mucho on natural fixes. He’s obsessed with finding the roots of health problems and honestly, in this chat I became obsessed with finding out his answers to every single thing that came to my mind. It turns out, this brilliant man is not only a healer, but also a quote generation machine, and he was dropping some serious poetic responses. Something he said that really stuck with me was: “Just because it’s common, doesn’t mean it’s normal.” Out of context, that could apply to basically anything (headphones getting tangled the minute they enter a purse, my dog humping his bed when he’s mad at us, me crying when I watch Monica and Chandler get engaged even though I’ve seen that episode upwards of 39 times…) but in the context of our conversation, he was saying that so many folks struggle with so many “common” health issues today, but that shouldn’t mean that accept them as “normal” and live a life less good.
This chat is also just what the doctor ordered because finally, FINALLY, hooha, I had an expert on the show who really broke down inflammation. You know, that word you keep hearing but don’t really, truly, honestly, understand? Well with Will, whose new book The Inflammation Spectrum is about to be your new go-to health manual, we talk about what inflammation is, what causes it, how it wrecks havoc in your body, and how to stop it!
Press play to hear:
- What’s a functional health practitioner and why might you need one?
- What causes inflammation?
- Why you might want to start an elimination diet
- What inflammation actually is and why too much can be bad news
- Why what you eat could be causing your depression and anxiety
- It’s not a medication deficiency: how what you do and don’t put in your body causes your symptoms
- Why autoimmune conditions and inflammation often go hand in hand
- How many years of lifestyle habits it takes before an illness manifests
- You don’t have to be wealthy to be healthy: FREE tips to get you feeling better
- Common foods that could cause inflammation
- Why stress is just junk food for the soul and is probably making you sick
Links related to this episode: