178. Oh I went there. Here’s The Big Joyful Vegan VS. Plant-Based Discussion! with Colleen Patrick-Goudrea
Manage episode 258416643 series 1429114
So you’ll hear in a lot of upcoming podcast episodes in which I’m the guest on other peoples’ shows talking about my book, Party in Your Plants, about the coconut smoothie that set me on my plant-party path, and how since that was in 2008 before instagram, youtube, and blogging was really a thing, I learned about eating plants through sitting in Barnes and Noble with a yellow legal pad. One of my first ever books at my self-study vegan 101 Barnes and Noble school was Colleen Patrick-Goudreau’s.
Colleen is an OG in the vegan world. Her voice is one I know well and her books (there are seven of them. One for each dwarf!) have graced my shelves for ten years or so. In this chat we talked about veganism, plant-based eating, not being judgemental, and… Burger King. Colleen gave some really down-to-earth tips on how to survive holidays as a plant eater, as well as tips on how to talk to loved ones and partners about your decision not to eat animal products.
What I especially loved about our chat was that in Colleen’s view, the “V” in vegan really stands for VALUES! I was admittedly a little scared before our interview that it would stand for VERY DOGMATIC. As Colleen says (and you’ll have to give it a listen…) it’s better to characterize being vegan as a means to an end not an end in itself. It’s not the goal. The goal is compassion and wellness... being vegan is the mode to getting there. Ahhhhh, sweet. Also sweet is hearing her talk about her relationship with her book’s cover cow (or steer!) at the very end of our chat.
Press play to hear stuff like:
- Tips for how to survive the holidays as a vegan
- How to talk to family and loved ones about your vegan choices
- Stop being critical of other people’s labels
- How to reflect your values in what you put on your dinner plate
- Achieve compassion and wellness through vegan eating
- Ways to talk to your partner about diet
- How to allow yourself room for error in order to take action!
- Why the perfect vegan doesn’t really exist
Links related to this episode: