Manage episode 268502219 series 1429114
When I first met today’s guest who is the wonderful woman the world calls Nicole Jardim (a.k.a. The Period Girl) years and years ago we were in a mess hall (at an adult sleepaway camp called Soul Camp). My friends were crowding her (back when personal space wasn’t a danger) to ask their juicy Q’s about their menstruation and I looked her in the eye with my nuva ring wedged in real deep and said “I don’t need period help, I don’t even get mine!”
Well hashtag mega grateful only skims the surface that I got this do-over with her. In this chat, which I sorry not sorry but kinda sorry used as a personal consultation, we covered everything from my messy period moment at my Bat Mitzvah to my confession that I’m on birth control and *gasp* that I’m ready to break up with it. I learned a lot - seriously, I felt like I was a 12-year-old in sex ed class. Really, how was there SO much about my body that I didn’t even know?! Well, Nicole, whose new book, Fix Your Period, came out around when mine did, breaks down some really need-to-know facts, dismantles the crazy wives tales and myths and sets us straight for once and for all that eating our plants helps our hormones, which I then tried and was perfect proof for. Period.
Press play to hear:
- How a plantless diet = hell periods
- Why the pill is not actually your bestie
- Why bad nutrition leads to icky period woes
- How the Period Girl changed her lifestyle
- Why tracking your period should be on your to-do list
- The best reads and apps about periods and menstrual cycles
- What the heck is premenstrual dysphoric syndrome
- How to learn about how your body actually works so you can stop being scared of it
- Yes, your window of fertility is waaay smaller than you think
- And so much more!!!
Links related to this episode: