Manage episode 254588960 series 2322877
This episode is brought to you by the University of California Irvine Division of Continuing Education. Established in 1962, UCI offers education for adult learners in Orange County. But thanks to technology, their courses and certification programs in various fields are now available worldwide and online for just about anyone who's interested. You can get 15% off of one (1) course by visiting http://ce.uci.edu/productivityist then enter the promo code timecrafting. Make sure you take advantage of this limited time offer as it is only valid until July 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm. (Please note that this discount is for almost all of the certificate programs. The exceptions only include coding boot camps, international programs, teacher credentialing programs, and test prep courses.)
Chris was profoundly affected at 16 years of age when he watched his father lose a restaurant he had bought with sweat equity and eventually put the keys in for the last time giving it back to the bank. He vowed then that he would make it his mission to help business owners the world over to avoid that terrible fate. His book, Start Ugly: A Timeless Tale About Innovation & Change is an extension of that promise and a story that can be understood by all who read it.
- Chris shares the premise of Start Ugly and why it's been such a powerful thing for him
- Why did Chris decide to write the book as a parable of sorts?
- Does starting ugly help with the ability to deal with change? If so, how?
- This is the single step of the seven Chris shares in the book that he believes is a barrier for most people
- Chris and I discuss the role that comfort plays when starting something ugly
- What does Chris have to say to people who are worried about the risk factor and forging a path that seems uncertain?
- How has Chris taken his family and personal obligations in mind when starting something ugly?
- This is what Chris sees down the line for the podcasting community
- Chris and I talk about how he is able to handle all of his obligations... of which there are plenty!
- We talk about the importantafce of being nimble
- What are some of the other biases that Chris has come across and realized that the book may have helped break?
"The way you're going to start is never going to be as perfect as where you're going to end up, so it's always going to be an ugly start." - Chris Krimitsos
- Chris Krimitsos
- The One Minute Manager
- The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
- The Productivityist Podcast #222: How to Fight a Hydra with Josh Kaufman
- Who Moved My Cheese?: An A-Mazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
- Adam Curry
- RODECaster Pro Podcast Production Studio
- Start Ugly: A Timeless Tale About Innovation & Change
- The Productivityist Podcast Pick of the Week: The Good Life Project
Join me at The BIG Ready on February 29, 2020
Take my 30 Days of TimeCrafting fundamentals course
If you enjoyed the episode, please leave a rating and/or review wherever you listened to the episode. And if you want to have easy access to the archives of the show and ensure you don't miss the new episodes to come then subscribe to the podcast in the app you're using – or you can do so on a variety of podcast platforms by clicking here.