Manage episode 278342398 series 31584
This is the story of a lifelong seeker. It’s about organizing your life around spiritual principles. Breaking the addiction to external validation. And always having the courage to fail.
Meet Blake Mycoskie.
Quite the change maker, Blake is most famously known as the founder of the wildly successful shoe company TOMS. He also pioneered the ‘One for One’ business model, donating a pair of shoes to a child in need for each pair sold. In turn, he sparked a generation of conscious consumers — and rebranded corporate responsibility as not only cool, but de rigueur.
But Blake’s story neither begins nor ends with TOMS.
A natural-born entrepreneur, Blake started 5 other businesses before TOMS. And he’s since moved on from his shoe empire to launch Madefor — a ten-month program that applies key principles of modern neuroscience, psychology, and physiology to make your brain and body better.
This is more than the story of an incredible entrepreneur. It’s about navigating the world through a spiritual lens. And the power of commitment to persistent personal growth.
It’s less about TOMS and more about the kind of person that imagines TOMS. It’s about intuition. The stewardship required to scale an idea into a global phenomenon — and the ongoing commitment to service that led to Madefor.
Blake is a very special human. It was an honor to finally spend some time with him. And a delight to share the experience with you.
For those feeling stagnant or stuck, my hope is that Blake’s testimony — chock-full of sage business and life advice — ignites the inner change you seek most and guides you towards peace.
Madefor Discount: Blake is generously gifting my listeners with 20% off the Madefor program. Just use the code “RICHROLL” at getmadefor.com. In full disclosure, I am not an affiliate nor do I have any financial entanglement or otherwise with Madefor — just sharing the good news.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Joovv: Enhance your health, recovery, and sleep with Joovv light therapy. Discover the science of light therapy and how it can help you reach your health & fitness goals. For a limited time, Joovv wants to hook you up with an exclusive discount on your first order: just go Joovv.com/richroll and apply my code RICHROLL to your qualifying order. Exclusions apply, limited time only.
Tracksmith: An independent running apparel brand that celebrates the competitive spirit and athletes dedicated to the pursuit of personal excellence with premium running equipment designed and crafted for racing and training in all conditions. To learn more visit Tracksmith.com/RichRoll and enter code Richroll at checkout to get $15 off your first purchase of $75 or more.
Whoop: The world’s most powerful fitness tracker. Get smarter about how you sleep, recover, and train, so you can unlock your best self. Go to WHOOP.com and use the promo code Richroll at checkout to save 15% off WHOOP.
Stride Health: The first health insurance recommendation engine tuned & tailored to the life of the individual. Find the perfect health plan for you. Enrollment ends December 15th, so it’s time for you to get covered with the right plan. Just go to stridehealth.com/richroll It’s easy coverage in 10 minutes or less, built just for people like us.
For a complete list of all RRP sponsors, vanity URLs & discount codes, visit Our Sponsors.
- Connect with Blake: Website | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
- Book: Start Something That Matters
- Madefor: The Spirit Behind The Science
- TOMS: Blake’s Bio
- Vogue: Blake Mycoskie Is Flourishing—And You Will Too If You Try His New Wellness Program, Madefor
- Men’s Health: This New Wellness Program Wants to Make Self-Improvement Easy—No, Really.
- Forbes: Why The Founder Of TOMS Shoes Wants You To Learn Ten New Habits
- Fast Company: Meet Blake Mycoskie
- Fast Company: ‘Modern living is tough’: Toms founder launches a wellness kit inspired by his own struggles
- Business Insider: After growing a $625 million dollar brand, TOMS founder Blake Mycoskie is betting on the wellness industry
- CNBC: How burnout inspired Toms founder Blake Mycoskie to start his next business
- INC: What’s Next for Toms, the $400 Million For-Profit Built on Karmic Capital
- INC: Toms Founder Blake Mycoskie’s Simple Habits for Recovering From Burnout
- People: TOMS Shoes Founder Launches New Wellness Company to Help Combat the “Stress of Modern Living”
- SHRM: TOMS Founder Blake Mycoskie Encourages Self-Help After Depression Diagnosis
- Business Of Fashion: The social entrepreneur pioneered the ‘one for one’ giving model with his footwear start-up, which donates shoes to needy children.
- Esalen: Blake Mycoskie — Why I Started Toms
- WebMD: Blake Mycoskie Starts Something That Matters
- Shark Tank: Blake Mycoskie
- The Chalkboard: Overcoming Depression Inspired Blake Mycoskie’s Latest Biz Venture
- How I Built This With Guys Raz: Blake Mycoskie
- If— by Rudyard Kipling
- Hoffman Institute: The Hoffman Process
- The Enneagram Institute: The Nine Enneagram Type Descriptions
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change'. To learn more & pre-order now, visit, richroll.com/vc
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST? Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the 'Sponsors' tab in the 'Shop' menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Ali Rogers & Davy Greenberg; and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
Amazon Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to the Amazon affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.