Manage episode 243588042 series 2409218
Sean Taylor, Vice President of Product Development at M2 Machines joins the Gearheads for an evening of laid-back conversation. We talk cool cars, the genesis of M2 Machines, the life of a die cast car company professional, working from home and more. We dig into the current and upcoming M2 Machines offerings, and geek out over the samples we were fortunate to have in hand thanks to Sean...
THINGS COVERED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Bringing little cars to the Big Show
- Sean hits the road and promotes the M2 brand
- Weird convention names and chasing windmills
- Drama in the Toy Car world
- "We're a niche diecast company"
- Sean explains the differences in the levels of his toy line
- The extra effort and research that goes in to create "uniquely optioned" cars
- Bench seats in a muscle car? Sure!
- The Hurst Sunshine Camaro
- Brad anoints Sean as the "Willy Wonka of Toy Cars"
- Growing up the son of a gearhead
- Discussing product recalls and navigating through trademarks
- In search of the Holy Grail: The Foose Hauler (1 of 6!)
- "Dude, I take my flames super-serious"
- Always striving to put out the best product every day
- Research, research, research
- The challenge and satisfaction of "pet projects" within the company
- How making limited runs keeps your product collectible and fresh
- Working with great companies like Walmart
- Taking a car from design to production
- Starting out as an artist
- Sean's first job as an artist......making Yellow Page advertisements
- Crossing the velvet ropes and entering the inner sanctum at Muscle machines
- Making so many 1969 Camaro Muscle Machines that they physically broke the mold
- Sean reveals the most obscure model he's ever done (psst...it's the Fargo!)
- Brian pitches his "Bullitt Car" toy idea
- Sean goes crazy working from home
- The birth of M2 Machines in 2007
- Licensing everything just to cover your butt
- Making Coby's VanGo van
- Explaining the details of the upcoming Squarebody Syndicate toy
- The Round Six boys want Sean to come back for part two to explain marketing and branding
- A contagious passion