#20: Henry Bates | Navigating The World Of Player Agents & Making The Most From A Paid Career In Rugby
Manage episode 255176479 series 2577301
Henry Bates is a talent-manager at Halo Sport who represents and advises athletes and coaches on a wide range of on and off-field matters and specialise in contract negotiation, player placement (both in NZ and overseas), sponsorship, commercial matters and judicial/misconduct procedures.
In this episode, Pete goes deep with Henry on:
- What a talent agency actually does and how to locate and work with one
- What it looks like for players in the first four to five years after being signed
- How to vet player agents and find ones who are going to look after the athlete and the family
- How to prepare for an agent meeting and the right questions you need to ask
- Some tough stories of players getting stuck in bad contracts and how to get out of them
This episode is a large deep dive on what it takes to become signed and the process of working with a talent agency. If you're a player who is looking at the next steps in your game entering the professional side of the game this episode will be gold.
SPONSORS: This week's episode is bought to you by Halo Sport. Halo Sport helps professional and aspiring athletes and their families navigate the world of modern sport. The business has been built around rugby and remains rugby focused but they now represent athletes and coaches from a variety of sports and are involved in all aspects of the business of sport in NZ and Japan. Henry Bates is a player-manager at Halo Sport who represents and advises athletes and coaches on a wide range of on and off-field matters and specialise in contract negotiation, player placement (both in NZ and overseas), sponsorship, commercial matters and judicial/misconduct procedures. To take a look at what the team at Halo Sports can do for you and get in touch with Batesy on his email: email@example.com