Manage episode 250936665 series 1425388
Aging is a disease.
Everyone gets old. But did you ever think of the symptoms of aging as a disease that can be cured?
I'd heard about Dr. David Sinclair and his ground-breaking longevity research, and I knew he would be a fascinating person to interview about this idea.
We ended up going really deep into the science of why we age, how to reverse it, and what is actually in our control.
David told stories he'd never shared before, and I kept asking questions because I was so interested in what he was telling me.
David Sinclair is a professor in the Department of Genetics and co-director of the Paul F. Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging at Harvard Medical School. He is an inventor on 35 patents and has received more than 35 awards and honors. In 2014, he was on Time Magazine’s list of the “100 Most Influential People in the World,” and listed as Time's Top 50 in healthcare in 2018.
In this conversation, we discussed all of my top questions on why we age, how much of it is reversible, and all of the ways I've heard to increase your longevity and health.
David is a wealth of wisdom on all these topics, and he also shared some of the hardest times of his life, including watching his mother die of lung cancer and why that impacted his work so much.
If you are committed to improving your health and living a long and healthy life, this conversation is a must-listen in Episode 904.
- Is it possible to reverse death? (7:42)
- What are the main ways to turn on the longevity genes? (9:30)
- How do you say no to all the food offers around you? (17:30)
- How did you get fascinated by longevity and anti-aging? (19:15)
- How did you recover from a major career setback? (37:06)
- What was the biggest lesson you learned from a year of being homeless? (49:28)
- How important are heat and cold therapy to anti-aging? (59:38)
- What is the ideal way to use fasting to improve your health? (1:05:42)
- How old do you think you’ll be able to live? (1:14:15)
- How much does inflammation play into the longevity of your life? (1:20:44)
- How our body’s built-in defenses against aging work (1:12)
- Why 3 meals a day is too much food for most people (10:09)
- The main benefits of a plant-based diet for longevity (13:13)
- Why it’s important to remember that there will always be another meal (15:10)
- Why death is so shocking to us even though it happens all the time (21:01)
- The molecule that has been proven to protect against a variety of diseases (29:34)
- The story that David has never told of how he was homeless after college (44:45)
- How cells lose their ability to stay young (55:32)
- Lewis’ experience doing a cold-exposure intensive in Poland with Wim Hof (1:08:45)
- Plus much more...
If you enjoyed this episode, check out the video, show notes and more at http://www.lewishowes.com/904 and follow at instagram.com/lewishowes