Manage episode 267833096 series 164106
Everyone knows I love a good system. So when I came across a system for naming things, you know I had to do a deeper dive. There is so much more to finding a name than simply finding something you like. Getting the right name that matches your vision and that actually sells can be much trickier than one might think.
There are a lot of components to naming things. Whether it’s thinking about the URL, the meaning, pronounceability, connotations, or social media, finding the right name can set the tone for many things surrounding your business. Does your name indicate the level of investment customers are about to make? How can your name make your product the most desirable?
To lay out a system for successfully naming your business, I’ve brought on author of The Naming Book, Brad Flowers.
Brad Flowers co-founded Bullhorn, an agency that builds confident brands with language and design. He leads naming and language generation at Bullhorn. He has a degree in English literature, which he finds more useful than he expected.
Learn how to find a name that truly sells, by downloading this episode now.
To learn about the power of trust and how it can revolutionize your business, download this episode now.
THE STRATEGIC BUSINESS MOVE WARRIOR
“We’re not only looking for a name we like, we’re looking for a name that works.” - Brad Flowers
- Set your intention by setting a criteria for your name.
- Names should be memorable.
- You want something that’s easy to pronounce unless there is a strategy around it being difficult.
- Jumpstart brainstorming by starting with a cliche, metaphor, or simile for what you do.
- Obscure words can bring more meaning to messaging as well as a shorter URL.
- Asking for feedback will ensure you’re not surprised by negative connotations to certain words.
- Put the name into some kind of context when you’re getting feedback.
- Building out the language around the name is important to see if it fits with the rest of the lingo of your ideal customer.
Guest Contact -
- Brad's Website
- Bullhorn's Instagram
- Bullhorn's Facebook
- Brad's Book- The Naming Book: 5 Steps to Creating Brand and Product Names that Sell
- Coaching support
- My book, LINGO: Discover Your Ideal Customer's Secret Language and Make Your Business Irresistible is now available!
- Watch my TEDx LincolnSquare video and please share!
Have Your Website Brand Message Reviewed! Is your website and are all your marketing materials speaking the right LINGO of your ideal customers? Often it's not which is why you're not converting traffic and leads to clients and attracting your most profitable customers. Fill out the simple LINGO Review application and I'll take a look at your website. If I have suggestions for you to improve your brand message (I almost always do), we'll set up a complimentary 30-minute call to discuss. A select number of websites are also chosen for my LINGO Review Video Series. Fill out the application today and let's get your business speaking the right LINGO!