Manage episode 265073825 series 2391339
How do you see and interact with the world around you?
While some people go through life without paying attention to every little detail, highly sensitive persons pick up on just about everything – and every bit of information is deeply processed within.
On this episode, I talk with trauma-informed psychotherapist Carmen Schmidt Benedetti about highly sensitive persons (HSPs) who have had the experience of complex trauma, particularly complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. We break down the myths and misconceptions around the intersection of high sensitivity and PTSD; how it manifests in people’s lives; and how people can learn to treat their high sensitivity as a gift.
About Carmen Schmidt Benedetti
Located in Sonoma County, California, Carmen Schmidt Benedetti is a trauma-informed psychotherapist for highly sensitive adults. She helps them heal layers of unrecognized childhood trauma and create a sense of calm, balance, and stability in their life. She is also a certified EMDR therapist and guides adults in reframing their past from an empowered perspective, helping them realize they are good enough and that their needs and feelings matter.
Some Questions I Ask:
- How did you end up working in the intersection of highly sensitive individuals and complex trauma? (3:07)
- What are some of the myths about high sensitivity? (10:58)
- What’s complex trauma? (14:14)
- Why is complex PTSD so significant for highly sensitive individuals? (23:15)
- How can highly sensitive individuals who have experienced trauma move forward towards healing? (32:03)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What it means to be highly sensitive. (7:12)
- How complex trauma is different from other types of trauma. (14:47)
- How complex trauma shows up in individuals. (19:32)
- How complex trauma affects emotional regulation. (26:17)
- Why it’s important for highly sensitive persons to seek a therapist who is informed on this trait. (34:00)