Manage episode 248245973 series 2584137
Dr Etienne Du Preez is a Sports Physician based in Sydney. In this episode we talk about low back or lumbar spine stress fractures. What this injury is, how to best manage and treat a low back stress fracture, and the long-term implications of this injury.
Here’s what we discuss in this episode:
- What is a Sports Physician and what do they do?
- Lumbar spine stress fractures are more than just one condition
- How common are lumbar spine stress fractures?
- How normal is it for young people to have back pain?
- What % of young athletes will experience a lumbar spine stress fracture?
- How concerned should I be as a parent if my young athlete has a stress fracture?
- What are the long-term implications of lumbar spine stress fractures?
- How long does a lumbar spine stress fracture take to heal?
- The impact of this injury on the injured young athlete and their families
- Ways of helping injured young athletes cope
- If my son/daughter tells me they have a sore back what is a good way to manage this?
- Do I need to go straight to a physio or GP?
- Initial management strategies when you have a young athlete with a sore back
- When to look for assessment and treatment from a practitioner
- Should I get an x-ray for low back pain in young athlete?
- If the x-ray is clear, are we in the clear?
- As a coach, what things should I keep in mind to look after the young athletes?
- As a coach, what things do I keep in mind if I have an athlete who has had a stress fracture previously?
- The critical importance of coaches in the prevention and management of stress fractures
- 5 key things that can relate or contribute to stress fractures
- How much do growth spurts or growing pains contribute to stress fractures
- Load Management – How much, how hard, how often young athletes are training and playing
- Parents pivotal role in managing the load of young athletes
- The importance of sleep and the concept of sleep hygiene
- Playing a wide variety of sports is better for young athletes overall development vs early specialisation in 1 sport only early in their life
Dr Etienne Du Preez
CT Scans and Radiation Exposure
Young Athlete Podcast
Young Athlete Podcast
Young Athlete Podcast on Facebook
Young Athlete Podcast on Twitter
Young Athlete Podcast on Instagram
Bounce Physiotherapy | Bounce Exercise Clinic
Young Athlete Podcast - Scott Wilson