Manage episode 248245972 series 2584137
Dr Gooden is a fellowship trained Orthopaedic Surgeon who specialises in surgery of the hip and knee and Orthopaedic trauma. In this episode we talk about the swollen knee, a common condition that most young athletes will experience at some point.
A swollen knee can happen for a variety of reasons and is often managed fairly simply, however, sometimes it can be a more significant issue that requires further review and treatment.
Here’s what we discuss in this episode:
- Do swollen knees differ in presentation according to the age of the young athlete?
- Has there been some sort of event that has caused the knee to swell?
- Could this swelling be because of some other condition such as arthritis?
- What types of structures could be injured to cause the knee to swell?
- How soon after an injury where the knee swells should I seek treatment from a physio or Dr?
- What sorts of things can help parents or coaches to decide if you should be seen immediately or you can wait a few days?
- Should I get an x-ray, MRI or ultrasound of the knee?
- CT scans of the knee should be avoided unless the need for this is explained very clearly
- Swelling in the knee, is the knee’s cry for help – often this will settle
- We talk about management of the swollen knee and where parents and coaches are best placed to get help for their young athletes.
- A Physiotherapist or Sports Physician is often a good first port of call before seeing an orthopaedic surgeon
- Orthopaedic Surgeons are also able to be used as an expert review as part of a team
- Rare – but more serious knee issues that present as swollen knees
- When should you use painkillers or anti-inflammatories?
- The importance of managing the training loads of your young athlete
- How challenging is it to teach perspective to young athletes about making decisions on their injury for their long term health
- Encouraging young athletes to not push through injuries
- Does the management of the swollen knee change with the truly elite young athlete?
- What is the value of the various injury prevention programs that are out there?
Dr Ben Gooden
Netball Australia Knee Program
CT Scans and Radiation Exposure
Young Athlete Podcast
Young Athlete Podcast on Facebook
Young Athlete Podcast on Twitter
Young Athlete Podcast on Instagram
Bounce Physiotherapy | Bounce Exercise Clinic
Young Athlete Podcast - Scott Wilson