Manage episode 264085331 series 97995
Have you ever considered the deeper meaning behind personal development and the self-help industry as a whole? This episode with guest Andréa Ranae is guaranteed to get you thinking (and talking), and what she talks about affects everyone, not just coaches or someone in the self-help industry.
Andréa is a coach herself who wrote a blog post last summer titled, Why the Self-Help Industry Isn’t Changing The World, which went viral and has been shared thousands of times since. She believes there is a disconnect between our own industry and the work of social justice, and even offers a Coaching As Activism Program to her clients.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why did her post really strike a nerve with coaches and healers alike? (5 minutes and 15 seconds)
- The reasons why the work of changing the world doesn’t stop at an individual (8:15)
- Why the lessons of the Law of Attraction are laden with privilege - if you are not systematically oppressed (8:51)
- Why focus on your identity but not how we have been impacted by dehumanizing messages about women? (16:39)
- How limiting beliefs are instilled in you and why you have to “name it to tame it!” (19:46)
As Andréa shares, “do-gooders” of the world often don’t want to bring “politics” and the stuff that’s happening around us into their work, but it’s something we can hide from. Her opinion is that self-love and self-care will not change the world, and I’m interested to hear from you about your thoughts on our conversation!