Manage episode 298409058 series 2390264
Maggie MacPhee is passionate about math - not just learning and teaching it, but also examining it through a social justice lens and changing the narrative around its history. She joins Best of the WWEST producer Vanessa to get nerdy about math and board games, but also to talk about how she as a busy math teacher early in her career deals with stress, what books she’s reading, and what her favourite part of teaching math is, punctuated with lots of laughter.
Maggie MacPhee is a grade 7-12 mathematics teacher in Nova Scotia. Maggie studied Mathematics at Mount Allison University before completing her Education degree at St Francis Xavier. Maggie’s favourite math topics are graph theory, board games, and social justice through mathematics.
For full shownotes, transcription, and land acknowledgement visit http://i.sfu.ca/OcXpdQRelevant Links:
- Building Thinking Classrooms
- The Crest of the Peacock: Non-European Roots of Mathematics (book)
- High School Mathematics Lessons to Explore, Understand, and Respond to Social Injustice (book)
- Infinite Powers: How Calculus Reveals the Secrets of the Universe (book)
- Maggie on Twitter
- Minister's Island
- Mount Allison University
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- Saint Francis Xavier University
- Settlers of Catan (board game)